Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 3 - Georgetown and The Mall

The day started out on the cool side, in the 40’s. Jenny, Louis and I went to a cute diner for breakfast, I had waffles and the best, crispy bacon, absolutely perfect. From there, Jenny and I went to their shop, Everard’s Clothing, in Georgetown.

Everard’s is a charming shop specializing in fine men’s and women’s wear. I had fun trying on dresses and bought two. One is black silk with cap sleeves and white rosettes on the sleeves, the other is an embroidered goldish beige, with mandarin color and frog closures. http://www.everardsclothing.com/womens.html It’s a good thing I don’t live close by, everything is adorable, I’d be broke.

At about noon, I set off for my tour of Georgetown, it's already warmer. I walked a short distance to Dumbarton Oaks, but since it was Monday, couldn’t go inside. I then started roaming the neighborhoods, admiring the architecture. The homes are old and a variety of styles. There are some that remind me of Dublin, there are others that remind me of Burano as they are all painted a different color. One of the houses had a street lamp that was a true gaslamp. I came upon Tudor place, a home built by George Washington’s granddaughter. I had expansive grounds and gardens; it was closed as well, but I did get to walk the gardens. I walked to Georgetown University and around the campus some, then over to Dupont Circle to catch the metro to downtown.

While walking the neighborhoods, I called my parents and my dad said there was a new air and space museum out at Dulles AIrport. When I arrived at The Mall, I went to the main air and space museum to get directions using public transportation. I found that the by the time I got out there, the museum would be closed, so scrapped that idea, I wandered that museum a little and was disappointed that my favorite airplane, Chuck Yeager’s Bell X-1 was no longer hanging from the ceiling. Maybe it’s at the auxillary museum.

I walked to the Newseum, but arrived a little more than an hour before it closed. Admission is $20 and I didn’t want to spend that much and not get to see everything, so I left and wandered to the United States Botanical Garden. It’s very beautiful, but not necessarily spectacular, many of the plants are in my mother’s garden and arranged just as artfully there. I did see a plant I liked - False Indigo, I’ll have to see if I can get it at Roger’s.

By now it’s 5pm, so I make my way to the metro station and back to Georgetown. I bought a metro ticket, but forgot it was rush hour, so when I tried to leave the station, it rejected my ticket. I had two other tickets with money left on them, but it’s not like gift cards, you can’t combine them. A station attendant showed me where I could top my card off so I could leave the station.

I must look like I know where I am going. When I was on the mall, a couple asked me how to get to the Natural History museum (I knew and told them) and going up the Dupont Circle escalator (I swear that is in contention for the world’s longest escalator), 2 young boys asked me how to get to National stadium (I knew and told them).

The walk back to Everards seemed long, mostly because I was tired, I probably walked 7 miles today, only stopping to get a pistachio milkshake, which I drank while walking. Although I arrived after the store was closed, Jenny and Louis had customers that stayed for another hour.

Jenny, Brenna the dog and I went to the fish market and grocery store, then came home and made dinner and cookies and watched Dancing with the Stars. I hope Shawn wins. After Louis came home, we had a lively, but friendly, politcal discussion over a delicious dinner. A wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. My feet hurt just thinking about all the walking you did. Sounds like you worked off the waffles and bacon before the day was half over! Glad you are having a good time! You missed out on our earthquake though!

    ReplyDelete