Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 6 - Rehearsal, New York City Ballet



I woke around 7am, Audrey and I got ready then went down to the hotel cafe for breakfast, at 9am, about 10 of us headed off for the rehearsal hall. The directions are kind of sketchy, I’m sure they were from mapquest, I ended up being the leader to the rehearsal hall. We arrived at Good Shepherd Chapel, the directions said Rose Building, 10th floor. We asked someone outside the chapel how to get to the 10th floor, we were told to go around to 65th street, we did that, the people in charge there didn’t know anything about our rehearsal, so we went back to the chapel, of course, that is where we were supposed to be. I have no idea why the directions said anything about the Rose building.

We practiced until just before noon, Juli Reitler, Margie Taylor and I walked to the SoulBread cafe for lunch. We sat at a table on the sidewalk, and ate our soup and sandwiches.

We rehearsed again and then had a choir festival with the other choirs. The Vanguard choir is fabulous, but so are the two high school choirs. There are about 15 to 20 students from each of the two private Christian high schools that are singing with us. Rehearsal is over at 3:45.

Audrey and I walked back to the hotel and relaxed for a while. At 6pm we walked to the Carnegie Deli for dinner. It’s a very popular, crowded restaurant, we essentially sat a table with 6 other people, there were 4 separate tables, but pushed together. We split a corned beef sandwich and coleslaw, and had more than enough to eat, there was probably 4 inches of meat, they had to bring extra bread. While we were eating, Audrey saw John Huffman walk in, but thought he was with another person. After we finished eating, we went to say hello. He asked if we wanted to join him for some chocolate cake, but explained that we were on our way to the ballet.

When we got to Lincoln Center, we went to the box office to get Audrey a ticket, but the only tickets she could get were more than she wanted to spend, since she wasn’t sure she would enjoy it. I waited for a while for Grace, Barbara Rippee and the Fergusons, but didn’t see them, so went to my seat; it’s the second row from the top. There’s a young guy sitting next to me; he’s a studying acting, we talked for a while, he was relieved to hear that I didn’t know anyone like the real housewives of OC.


The Ballet was the best dancing I’ve seen in 30 years (when I saw Baryshnikov). The pas de deux in the first act was enchanting. Mercutio stole the show, unbelievable leaps performed spectacularly. For the curtain call, when Benvolio came out, I thought he was wearing purple, so I yelled Bravo, so when Mercutio came out, I yelled bravo again, then added a woohoo. There were a bunch of curtain calls, well deserved. During the intermission, I bought a tee shirt. I wanted to get one that had the 5 positions of the feet, but it was long sleeved and ugly. I still have the beach towel with the 5 positions of the feet my brother gave when I graduated from high school. The performance was being recorded for PBS.

I’m getting voicemails about 24 hours later. During one of our rehearsal breaks, I saw that I had 4 voicemails, 3 of them from yesterday, one of them from my dermatologist. Good news, I don’t have lupus, praise God. The Oreacia seems to be helping the rash, I’m not as bumpy and hardly ever itch, but the redness is about the same. When I look in the mirror, I don’t look as red as I do in the pictures, I’m probably about the same as before I left. It doesn’t look like Gillian’s prediction that I’ll be rash free by the time I return will come through, bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment