Elsa picked me up at the airport and took me to their home. I love the hostas in the front and the trees in the back, it’s like a forest. Seby and Vinny - the cats - and I become friends. After chatting for a while, Greg and Elsa made a delicious dinner of chicken and beef kabobs. We stayed up talking until midnight, it was a lovely evening.
Day 2- Washington D.C.
I woke around 8 a.m. After sleeping straight through the night. Greg made bacon and french toast, yummy. We went to Maclean Bible Church; it’s a mega church, but not as showy as Saddleback. I really liked Lon Solomon’s sermon, it was the story of Legion, he also used Jesus healing the shriveled hand on the sabbath as illustrations about how Jesus cared more about people than manmade rules and things.
From there, we went to Jenny and Louis, where I changed clothes. Louis took me to the metro; I took the orange line to the Mall. It’s cool and blustery. I walked down to the WWII memorial. It is very impressive. From there I walked to the National Gallery.
OK, let’s talk about some of the art. Daniel in the Lion’s den - if you are in a den with 9 lion’s are you really going to be sitting down with your legs’ crossed. Granted his face looks like he’s pleading, but otherwise, he looks pretty polite.
Next, there’s the most unusual Madonna and Child. Jesus has his hand in Mary’s top and has a very lecherous look on his face.
And then there’s the painting of Jesus getting baptized, John the Baptist must have either been Lutheran or Presbyterian. For all those that believe otherwise, see, you don’t need to be dunked.
At about 5pm, I walked back to the American History Museum; they’ve completely redone it. My favorite exhibit was the Price of Freedom that talks about all the wars from the Revolutionary to the Vietnam war.
At 6pm, Louis and Jenny picked me up at the museum and we drove to a restaurant near Georgetown that has Cuban and Mexican food, very good food. Greg and Elsa met us there. After dinner, we walked around the neighborhood looking at all the lovely homes. Driving back to Jenny and Louis’ home in Arlington, we went through Georgetown. Jenny and I are now on our laptops.
Ha! Love your observation about Daniel in the Lion's den! Yeah, his body language isn't what you would expect from someone in that predicament. I don't think RHCC will be incorporating that one into the Pageant. Have fun, Karen!
ReplyDelete